Millions of people daily suffer from various types of chronic pain. Traditional treatment options cannot provide long-standing relief. Since 2018, there has been growing interest in medical marijuana use as a different natural remedy for managing various pain conditions. In this article, we have collected all the experts’ recommendations on how various sorts of medical marijuana can be used to deal with severe chronic pain.
Which types of pain can medical cannabis help to manage?
Various sorts of medical marijuana can be consumed for treating different types of painful conditions. The following are among the most common chronic pain types that medical cannabis can help to relieve.
- Inflammatory pain conditions. They are typically caused by severe inflammation in the human body. It is connected with such frequent painful conditions as various types of arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, autoimmune disorders, etc. As a great healing herb, medical cannabis has already demonstrated outstanding anti-inflammatory effects for reducing inflammation and associated pain. Both THC and CBD components have anti-inflammatory properties, which makes various sorts of medical marijuana, such as Cannatonic and ACDC, a great option for managing the most common types of inflammatory pain conditions.
- Musculoskeletal pain. During this pain condition, bones, ligaments, muscles, tendons, and other components of the musculoskeletal system are generally affected. In this case, medical marijuana helps manage musculoskeletal pain. For example, if you wish to buy weed in Glasgow for treating musculoskeletal pain, it is better to choose strains with high myrcene content like White Widow or Blue Dream. They can reduce overall inflammation, relax muscles, and provide strong analgesic effects.
- Neuropathic pain. Individuals suffer from this pain type when nerves are damaged and start to function improperly. As a rule, it results in burning, shooting, or tingling sensations. To relieve this type of pain, it is desirable to use medical cannabis. Its strains have analgesic properties that help diminish neuropathic pain considerably. THC and CBD components help regulate the overall pain perception. Cannabis strains high in CBD like Charlotte’s Web and Harlequin should be consumed for neuropathic pain management.
- Cancer-related pain. This painful condition can be caused by the disease itself and its treatments such as chemotherapy-induced neuropathy. In this case, medical cannabis can alleviate cancer-related pain through its analgesic effects and the ability to ease the side effects of cancer treatments. Such THC-rich strains as Girl Scout Cookies and OG Kush can be consumed for relieving cancer-related pain and improving the overall quality of life for cancer patients.
- Fibromyalgia. This chronic pain condition is typically characterized by prevalent musculoskeletal pain, sleep disorders, and fatigue. In such conditions, various types of medical cannabis can reduce muscle stiffness and improve sleep duration and quality. Such CBD-rich strains as Harlequin and Cannatonic may help to deal with common fibromyalgia symptoms.
- Migraines. During severe headaches, an individual suffers from pulsating pain accompanied by such symptoms as nausea or sensitivity to light. Medical cannabis can be useful in treating such conditions owing to its analgesic effects. Herbs with high levels of terpene limonene such as Super Lemon Haze and Lemon Haze provide sufficient relief for various types of headache pain.
Main types of cannabis strains for chronic pain management
The wide variety of cannabis strains available in the market allows for personalized approaches to pain management. Among the most popular types of medical cannabis strains, we would like to mention the following ones:
- CBD strains. Cannabidiol has outstanding therapeutic effects, including pain management. Hence, patients who wish to relieve pain without the strong psychoactive effects of THC weed generally consume CBD cannabis. Such strains as ACDC, Budpop, Holleyweed, Charlotte’s Web, and Harlequin have high CBD content and provide outstanding pain relief properties.
- THC strains. This type of medical cannabis, which has potent analgesic effects, will be ideal for people with severe chronic pain. Hence, such strains as OG Kush, Acapulco Gold, Girl Scout Cookies, Chemdawg, and LA Confidential have one of the highest THC contents and may relieve pain more effectively.
- Indica strains. This sort of herb is recommended for chronic pain relief owing to its sedating effects. As a rule, these herbs have higher levels of THC, which relieves pain and helps to relax. The most popular types of Indica strains are Northern Lights, Granddaddy Purple, Sour Diesel, Big Bud, Afghani, and Bubba Kush.
- Balanced CBD & THC strains. Many people consume strains that contain a balanced percentage of THC to CBD. Such strains as Cannatonic, Harle-Tsu, and Pennywise provide a good combination of both THC and CBD, which has a synergistic effect for managing various types of severe pain.
Various sorts of medical cannabis can be a good alternative remedy for people seeking relief from chronic pain. Owing to its outstanding analgesic and relaxing properties, medical marijuana has already turned into a great natural remedy for managing various types of severe pain conditions. Don’t forget to get a professional consultation while choosing strains for pain management. You should always take care of your health on time. Take care of yourself!