How gratifying would it be to outmaneuver a pirate?
Yeah, that’s what we thought you’d say. And no, these aren’t the pirates who sail the seven seas and carry a sword.
The pirates we speak of today are porch pirates—bandits and buccaneers who steal packages from the front porches of private homes—and they’re the worst.
These scoundrels target homes with packages—such as those delivered seven days a week by Amazon—left unattended for extended periods of time. These thefts upend the lives of millions of consumers annually; with an estimated cost of $19.5 billion to retailers, who are left on the hook for replacing the stolen items.
It’s also worth noting that, according to a 2022 report from SafeWise.com:
- Roughly 260 million packages disappeared from porches across America last year—50 million more than in 2021.
- More than three in four Americans have been victims of package theft.
- More than half of porch pirate victims had multiple packages pilfered.
There is, however, some good news in the midst of all this bad news.
GoLocker, a smart locker startup with a built-in firewall against porch pirates, is repositioning the $150 billion dollar package shipping business. GoLocker’s bold strategy for expansion, with security as a cornerstone, comes at a critical moment for an industry ripe for innovation after decades of tired strategies for growth.
“What we are seeing is a mismatch between the innovation in commerce and the lack of innovation in package delivery,” said GoLocker President Amanda Cowan Sanchez. “The use of package lockers is commonplace across Europe and Asia, but we have yet to adopt it widely in the US. We intend to change that.”
GoLocker’s first-of-its-kind smart locker, last mile logistics, brand agnostic, package delivery network in the U.S. currently offers extended hours, with some 24-hour access, at package locker beachheads in New York City and Los Angeles.
A pivotal piece of every move that GoLocker makes, security is boosted by integration with retailer platforms. That means the tracking of packages between both parties is aligned and more efficient, with stronger coordination translating into safer operations.
Photographs snapped as packages are retrieved from smart lockers and proof of delivery through electronic signatures are just two features that help generate real-time data for customers tracking the delivery of their packages. Both of these features contribute to a more secure delivery process.
In addition to thwarting porch pirates with smart lockers at designated pick-up and drop-off points, GoLocker provides operational efficiencies for carriers that eliminate the need for multiple stops. This means carriers can deliver multiple items to a single location as opposed to multiple items to multiple locations.
At the same time, GoLocker by delivering hundreds of packages at once reduces its carbon footprint.
As GoLocker continues to execute its strategy for growth while strengthening security measures, its future remains bright. Company achievements include:
- The establishment of a partnership with PackageHub, a nationwide franchise of shipping centers, to build a vast network of PUDO—pick up and drop off—points.
- Establishing Proof of Business with its anchor client, The RealReal.
As the GoLocker team works to complete its Seed Round immediately, the company is proceeding with plans for:
- An expanded network of more than 60 package lockers in both New York City and Los Angeles; with more than 50 brand partners from local to enterprise.
- Deliveries beyond consumer goods that include medication, food, and testing kits.
- More than 10,000 consumers and expansion into C2C marketplaces.
- Franchise partnerships for locker hosting; and integration with U.S. courier companies such as UPS, FedEx and DHL.
“There’s certainly no slowing down the continued growth of e-commerce transactions,” said GoLocker Vice President of Partnerships Kiley Tkaczyk. “But what logistics organizations can do is eliminate delivery challenges to meet the needs of consumers, brands and carriers. GoLocker’s brand and carrier agnostic model is the conduit for this initiative.”
Visit www.golocker.com to learn more.