Plumbing is one of the most important jobs out there. It’s thanks to plumbing activities that we can use clean water to cook, drink, bath, and do many other things. It also ensures that the waste that may contain dangerous chemicals and other risky elements is properly disposed of. Now, this may not be the flashiest job, but its importance can’t be overlooked.
To properly conduct plumbing, you need to undergo proper training to learn about the correct processes and techniques.
Apart from that, you also learn how to identify, use, and utilize plumbing tools and equipment from PlumbersStock. Plumbing tools are an extremely valuable part of any plumbing activity. They can be used to cut, bend, tighten, and loosen fittings. A plumber tool kit can also be used to:
- Unclog drains
- Repair water pumps
- Install heating boiler systems
Plumbing jobs can easily become a nightmare without the right tools. Basin wrenches, pipe blenders, plungers, and pipe benders are some of the most common plumbing tools. Note that every one of these tools has a specific purpose and as such, it must be used accordingly.
Having the right tools is important if you plan to carry out any plumbing tasks. That’s because these tools ensure that your job is done quickly and efficiently. Thus, you must be sure to use the right tools because the wrong ones can lead to damaged pipes and even cause injuries.
The Right Plumbing Supplies That You Must Have
How much do you know about the best plumbing tools?
Statistics show that 10 percent of the homes in the United States have water leaks that waste about 90 gallons of water daily. Dripping faucets leaking valves and worn out toilet flappers are some of the most common leaks.
Fixing plumbing issues requires you to have knowledge on how to navigate pipe systems. You also need to be knowledgeable on what tools will do a particular task more efficiently. That’s because you must have the right supply of plumbing tools to tackle plumbing issues more efficiently. Keep reading as we tell you about some of these tools.
Wrenches are some of the most important tools that every plumber must have.
These plumbing tools are available in various handles and jaw head sizes, with varying jaw head shapes to serve different purposes. Wrenches are also made of a smooth jaw or a toothed one at one end of its handle. They are also easy to adjust.
Here are some of the wrenches that every plumber needs to have in their plumber tool kit.
- Pipe wrench. Professional plumbers use pipe wrenches on almost every job, as it helps them to loosen or tighten pipes and fittings. This tool has a toothed jaw that grips the pipe or fitting, hence making it easier for a plumber to move.
- Basin wrench. This tool helps plumbers to turn fasteners in tight spaces that are hard to reach with a traditional wrench. In most cases, a basin wrench is used under sinks to disconnect faucets.
- Faucet key. Faucet keys help plumbers to open and close outdoor water spigots on both commercial and industrial buildings.
- Adjustable wrench. Thanks to its movable jaw, plumbers can use this tool to torque nuts and bolts of different sizes.
2. Safety Tools and Supplies
Maintaining a safe work environment relies on investing in the right plumbing safety tools and supplies. Purchase the safety supplies below and be sure to use them appropriately:
- Knee pads. A lot of plumbing works require the plumber to be on their knees for long periods. Knee pads help to soften the pressure and protect you from serious issues in the long-term.
- Heat shields. Heat shields help to protect you and your clients from possible fire damage and potential heat in confined spaces.
- Gloves. Purchase heavy-duty work gloves to protect your hands from hot elements. With plumbing gloves, you’ll easily grip wet and slippery items when working.
3. Plumbing Tools for Pipework
Plumbers are required to install, repair, or replace various types of piping. To ensure that you’re well equipped for the job, you must have the right supplies. Some of these supplies or tools are:
- Press fitting systems. This tool helps to secure a connection onto a pipe by pressing a seal. Press fitting systems are a quick and efficient way of sealing a connection without welding or soldering.
- Thread sealing tape. This tool is used as a sealant on threaded pipe joints that don’t have a built-in rubber seal. A thread sealing tape also acts as a lubricant, making it easier to screw in and disassemble.
4. A Hacksaw
Usually, plumbers use hacksaws to cut through PVC pipes. This tool can also be used to cut through wood and plastics.
The c-shaped frame design is the most common type of hacksaw in the market. This frame supports a thin blade that you can replace when it becomes blunt. When shopping for a hacksaw, you must ensure that the one you choose has a sturdy frame to act as a niche.
This helps to prevent your hand from slipping while cutting through items. Such a hacksaw saves you time in case you need to replace the blade of work.
5. Flange Plungers
A flange is just like the cup plunger, except that it’s used to unclog toilets. A plunger has an extra plastic piece that enables it to seal against curved surfaces.
The difference between a flange plunger and a cup plunger is that the former has a longer handle. It also has a soft, smaller cup extending down the bottom end of the plunger.
The smaller cup also known as a flange is important because it’s designed to fit inside a typical toilet drain. The drain pipe’s end serves to apply force more effectively on the blockage.
Additionally, a flange helps by preventing the toilet water from getting inside the plunger or turning inside out.
Failure to be knowledgeable about the right plumbing tools and equipment can put the plumber and their client at risk. Not knowing the purpose of the tools and equipment and how to use them can also hinder productivity.
A plumber is supposed to be knowledgeable about the right plumbing tools. That’s what will enable you to become flexible and utilize your tools to save time.
With the saved time, plumbers, the plumbing crew, and project managers can do more. You can, for instance, improve your skills and the quality of your services. These are some of the reasons why it’s crucial to get prepared before taking on the job or working in this industry.