Whenever you get into an accident, you are required to call the police at the accident site. The police officers arrive at the scene, conduct an investigation and create a police report. This report is valuable to prove liability in personal injury cases.
Things can get complicated and confusing when you call the police, but they do not arrive. If you are in such a situation, you may not know how to proceed from here. A personal injury lawyer los angeles will be able to suggest you your best option and help protect your rights.
Why would the police not show up at the accident scene?
It is not like the police purposefully do not want to investigate your accident scene. There are a number of reasons why they may not arrive at the site.
- If the accident has not produced any injuries, the police may not consider it important. This is mainly when other more severe accidents are happening in the area.
- If your accident has taken place on private property, the police may have a policy not to respond.
- The police may not respond to less serious crashes when the weather is bad and only respond to the most serious ones, which cannot be avoided.
What to do if the police do not show up at the accident site?
If you already called the police a long time ago, but they have not shown up, the steps you take will play a key role in your personal injury case. When the police do not show up in a Los Angeles accident, you will have to gather the evidence at the scene and collect all the relevant details by yourself.
Police reports usually contain the date, time, description of the scene, details of the parties involved, etc. Here are some steps you should take for the information-gathering process.
- Take as many photos and videos of the accident scene and your injuries as possible.
- Talk to witnesses, note down the names of the potential ones and take their contact information.
- Obtain all the relevant information of the other parties involved. This includes their names, photos, driver’s license details, car details, address, etc.
Knowing your options
When the police do not arrive at the scene, you may be worried about not having a police report. However, the police coming to the accident site is not the only way to get a report. To create a report, you can simply go to the nearest police station and tell them about the accident directly. The police will collect some information from you and use them to make the report.