There is nothing more traumatic than getting injured in an auto accident. Such mishaps are common in Albuquerque, and since New Mexico is a fault state, you can claim compensation from the at-fault party/driver. It is important to know the state laws and talk to an Albuquerque auto accident attorney to know the scope of your claim. Here are some facts along with the dos and don’ts you need to follow.
The state laws
In New Mexico, you have three years to file a car accident injury lawsuit. The deadline is four years, as per the statute of limitations, for lawsuits involving property damage. If you miss the deadline, the court will most likely refuse your case. What if two drivers share the blame for the accident? New Mexico has rather claimant-friendly laws. Even if you are mostly at fault for the accident, you can still sue the other at-fault party for your losses. Talk to an attorney to know how the pure comparative fault rule works.
– Stop and call the police, no matter who is at fault.
– Call 911 and get help for the injured.
– Check with an injury doctor for your injuries.
– Swap information with the driver(s) involved in the accident.
– Call and inform your insurer.
– Get details of the witnesses.
– If you are physically okay, take photos of the scene and your injuries.
– Cooperate with the police.
– Call an experienced auto accident lawyer.
– Don’t admit fault, even when you are aware of it.
– Don’t give a statement to the insurance company unless you have your lawyer.
– Don’t engage in fights and confrontations.
– Don’t miss keeping a file of your medical bills, dues, and treatment costs.
– Don’t delay filing the insurance claim.
– Don’t hide facts from your lawyer.
Do you need an attorney?
Winning an auto accident claim is harder than you think because the insurance company is unlikely to cooperate. You may not be able to prove fault on your own, and when there are more than two cars involved, things become inherently complex. An attorney can work on a contingency fee and ensure that you have the support that you need to win the case. Lawyers also know bad faith insurance tactics and spot means and ways that insurance adjusters use to deny claims.
Check online for top-rated auto accident lawyers in your city, and don’t forget to meet a couple of potential attorneys.