Las Vegas never sleeps! Being one of the most popular hubs for tourists, this city in the U.S. witnesses tourists worldwide. That means the roads are always running, and you can find double-decker, tour coaches, and open-roof buses at all hours. With all the hustle-bustle, accidents are likely to happen. If you get into a bus mishap of any kind, the skilled team of Ladah Law Firm will ensure you get your deserving compensation.
Causes of Bus Accidents
- Traffic: Las Vegas being a tourist spot, sees tourists using public transport more often. As a result of heavy traffic congestion, bus drivers and other drivers take more risks to arrive at their destinations on time. Unfortunately, this can significantly raise the chances of a bus accident in Las Vegas.
- Driver Fatigue: Overwork and long working hours without rest can exhaust the bus driver, and there are high chances of accidents.
- Driver Distraction: Las Vegas’ touristy environment may distract the driver, and he can crash into other vehicles or pedestrians. Texting or calling while driving may also risk the passengers as the driver may get sidetracked.
- Faulty Equipment: Lack of proper maintenance of buses is another reason for potential accidents. Delay in maintenance can cause steering, brakes, engines, or tires to fail.
- Risky Roadways: In some cases, bus accidents are caused by potholes or faulty guardrails on the highway. In these cases, the governmental authority responsible for maintaining the highway can be held liable.
- Bus Driver: Bus drivers can be held liable if they were under the influence of alcohol, tired, distracted, or violated any traffic laws.
- Bus maintenance personnel: Mechanics should conduct a detailed check-up and proper maintenance for the buses to run on roads. Some bus companies hire a third party for that. If a bus mechanic makes a mistake that leads to an accident, he will be liable.
- Bus owner: A court may hold an owner liable for damages if an owner fails to hire qualified drivers, properly train drivers and maintain buses safely.
Compensation for victims
Buses are considered safe compared to other public transportation, yet accidents occur. Suppose you or your loved one has been injured in a bus accident. In that case, you are liable to seek compensation for hospitalization, medications, other medical bills, lost wages, emotional distress, pain, suffering, etc.
However, it is essential to get as much information as possible from the scene, such as eyewitnesses, contact of fellow passengers, the bus’s license plate, and the bus company’s insurer. If you or others get hurt on the bus, take photos of the scene and the bus. Make sure your name is on the accident report, and seek medical attention as soon as possible.