The Catholic Church announces shocking news for Same Sex couples in the LGBTQ community as they are in disbelief with the Vatican recent announcement, will not offer its blessing to gay people.
You may have seen some stories recently talking about “rebel” priests that will still bless same-sex unions no matter what the Vatican says.
With the new announcement from the Vatican join Author and LGBTQ advocate Dennis Schleicher as joins WCCO CBS Radio in Minneapolis, Minnesota to talk with Cory Hepola to discuss the Catholic Church’s latest comments on homosexuality and how to reconcile one’s sexuality with religion.
Reuters reports the Vatican has announced that the Catholic Church can’t bless same-sex unions, a blow to Catholics had hoped the Church would modernize its approach to homosexuality. (Reuters story)
The Vatican’s orthodoxy office, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, responding about gay marriage was approved by Pope Francis.
“The blessing of homosexual unions cannot be considered licit,” the statement says, adding that “there are absolutely no grounds for considering homosexual unions to be in any way similar or even remotely analogous to God’s plan for marriage and family.”
In 2019 Pope Francis said; “Homosexual people have the right to be in a family. They are children of God,” “What we have to have is a civil union law. That way they are legally covered.”
So, how can the LGBTQ community continue embracing a religion that doesn’t embrace them?
How can you reconcile your religious beliefs with your sexuality?
- Have other religions become more accepting of gay marriage?
- What should same sex couples do if they want to have a blessing?
- What questions should you be asking if you don’t “get” gay marriage? How can you learn without being offensive?
- For young people who may feel scared or worried about coming out to a religious family, what would you say to them?
- And for parents that are upset about their children’s sexuality, what advice do you have?
- Dennis talks a bit about your experience and why he wrote
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. –James 1:5-6