eLearning as a training method has been widely adopted by organizations because of the multiple benefits it provides, from offering uniform learning content remotely to making it available anytime, anywhere.
While the training delivery methods have an influence on the effectiveness of training, it has also been established that content is the most influential when it comes to deciding the impact training will have on employees.
Many businesses take the easy way out and choose off-the-shelf courses with pre-built designs. But why should businesses invest in custom eLearning design? In simple words, a custom eLearning program is much more beneficial, effective, and engaging. Coupled with a UX design course, it can help to upskill your design team and bridge the gap between them.
In this article, we will explore why investing in custom e-learning design is the right choice for your organization. Let’s begin by understanding the benefits of custom eLearning with respect to employee training:
1. Personalization- Businesses today are able to leverage the best talent from across the globe, thanks to technology. There are a lot of benefits to it but there are also some unique challenges.
The diversified workforce with different skill sets will have different preferences and habits when it comes to learning. This clearly means that their training needs will be different.
By analyzing the business needs and understanding the problem areas or gaps, personalized courses can be designed to cater to the needs of different learning paths of a diverse workforce. Based on the skill gaps analyzed, relevant courses can be recommended to the learners.
2. Branding – With custom design, true banding becomes smooth, not just in terms of using the logo and color scheme, but also in terms of reflecting consistency. Such courses lead to better alignment with the organizational goals, leaving a positive impact on learners’ engagement levels.
The learners relate better with the company’s vision when the training reflects authentic brand identity, enhancing the chances of course completion rates.
3. Higher engagement level – You may adopt any learning methodology, but unless the content is engaging, it will not deliver the desired results. The crux is– effective content is engaging content and custom eLearning helps you deliver engaging content to your employees.
Irrespective of the training task of designing content for sales, soft skills, or technical training, you must ensure that the content provides a stimulating, engaging, and effective learning experience. Engaging and interesting training will also help in imbibing the culture of continuous learning. Incorporating scenario-based learning specific to the role will be both engaging and effective.
Leveraging micro-learning methodology to deliver difficult topics and using visual mediums leads to customization of the program, in turn, enhancing the engagement levels. A custom eLearning design company can help you with all these things.
4. Ease of updating new information– Continuous learning is an emerging trend within organizations that take employee training seriously. It ensures that the employees are updated and skilled with the latest information, regulations, policies, technologies, and more.
Custom eLearning courses can receive relevant updates quickly, without having to redo the whole course content, facilitating required training quickly. In contrast, pre-built eLearning courses limit you from updating any new information.
5. Use of multiple digital platforms – As every learner has a different learning style (visual, auditory, infographics), custom eLearning design enables you to create personalized content that can be tweaked for sharing on multiple digital platforms.
Micro-learning and simulation-based interactive modules are some of the effective mediums to simplify difficult topics. These content formats are easily digested and absorbed. Incorporating these mediums in your custom eLearning designs can also aid in improving retention and comprehension.
Repetition is key to retaining information. These digital platforms are engaging and thus, can be repeated and referred to by the learners whenever required, even after completion of the course. Just-in-time training also can be easily delivered using customized eLearning content.
6. Encourages collaboration – Customized eLearning promotes collaboration within different departments. By assessing the similarities in responsibilities in different departments, the inter-departmental teams can be brought together with common training curriculums, leading to meaningful collaboration amongst the departments.
Employees get the opportunity to explore different career paths with such customized learning opportunities.
While designing a customized eLearning course, team collaboration can be enhanced by including multiple communication channels like chat forums, e-conferences, and more. Peer collaboration is enhanced making the workplace a happier and more productive place to work.
7. Higher learning success rates – As mentioned above, incorporating different learning mediums enhances the effectiveness of the course, thus creating engagement. With custom eLearning design, you can design your training to deliver hands-on experience, helping your employees learn by doing, and improving the impact delivered by your course.
Different assessment tools like tests and quizzes, etc. provide various opportunities to assess the employees’ performance, thus, compelling them to revisit and repeat the learned concept. Such assessment tools, combined with gamification elements like a leaderboard can be used to foster a healthy competitive spirit amongst the employees.
8. Cost-effective – The initial investment in custom eLearning courses is comparatively higher than the off-the-shelf eLearning courses. However, in the long run, custom eLearning courses have a longer shelf life and high reusability. The courses can be enhanced by adding information to the already existing curriculum, based on the organization’s scalability requirements and priority changes, thus making them the cost-effective choice in the long run.
The initial cost of the pre-built courses might be low, however, in the long run, custom eLearning proves to be more beneficial. There are multiple reasons – focused content, personalized training, enhanced brand value, goal convergence, engaged learner, better collaboration, and more.
Using simple yet interactive content, on-the-go learning techniques, and more, it is not difficult to create a successful custom eLearning curriculum for your learners. The courses designed keeping business goals in consideration are sure to add value to a productive work environment and contribute to growth in a measurable manner. Don’t wait anymore and get started with your custom eLearning design.